Monday, March 24, 2008

My grateful list

For those of you who know me, you know that this past weekend was a bit of a personal hurdle. Last spring the plan was to get married on Easter Saturday. But, life intervened and the plan changed. Add to that clawing my way out of personal burnout. The lessons are good things... but painful nonetheless. This past fall and winter has been such a journey of healing and this weekend was my last big significant hurdle. On Sunday, I was sitting in church with my aunt and uncle and I was overwhelmed by gratitude. I thought that I'd share my grateful list with you (they aren't all uber-deep):

  1. My new friends. I have learned who my good friends are... they didn't mind being around me when I couldn't stop crying.
  2. My family... they faithfully read my blog, let me be Auntie Knittinchick even though I'm just a cousin and let me just be me.
  3. My personal faith... I wouldn't have made it through without it. It's amazing how the dark seasons make it so much deeper.
  4. Knitting... Seriously, this has saved me thousands in therapy!!! When my concentration was shot and I couldn't read (a recipe was a challenge...), I could knit a sock or an afghan or a sweater (as I was getting better... this required reading a pattern!).
  5. Chocolate-the darker the better. It's incredible how a little square of that can make the world look lots better and there is always new research coming out about how it is good for you.
  6. Flannel jammies-a winter evening in a warm house when you are exhausted is only made better by a bowl of soup from your slow cooker while you're wearing flannel pjs.
  7. Being saved from a marriage that would have been a disaster. Big picture... being single is blissfully peaceful in comparison to a bad marriage-and in my work I see a lot of those.
  8. Laughter-even on the darkest days, I was looking for good laughs. I avoided artistic, broody movies and chose the funny ones that would help me see light in dark days.
  9. Springtime. This year I have been craving the longer days (thank you Daylight savings) and the ability to walk, run (lol) and bike after work so I'm not worried about safety.
  10. All my bloggy friends... you read my blog even when I struggle with html (who wants to learn that system?) and even post sometimes. You're awesome...

Have fun on your Monday. This is one of the first Mondays off that I have had energy so I'm going to pull out spring clothes, knit some Make Believe Crowns for the nieces and nephews that I'll get to see in the next few weeks. Have a great day!

5 comments:

Bargainista said...

This blog is a keeper! i am going to print it off as a daily reminder to keep up my grateful journal.

We are SO PROUD OF YOU and how you have handled this past year and all that has landed on your plate.
You are more than a survivor. You are an inspiration to me and to so many of your family and friends.
WE LOVE YOU!!!
Brighter days are ahead!

Bargainista said...

Those 'make believe' crowns are just adorable. They will sure beat those paper and wire ones that never stay put.
If you are selling them, i want a girl one and a boy one.

momofthecrazies said...

We love you!! Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

happygeek said...

I LOVE YOU!
I've been praying for you all year.
Glad you made it through the weekend.
Spud and Sprout told me that they want me to order them some boy ones. They say "money is no object."
They obviously are paying.
Can't wait to live closer.

Scatteredmom said...

I love your grateful list.

With tomorrow being my 37th birthday, I was feeling a bit...old and down, and it reminded me that I need to be grateful too. :)

And if you're in need of ideas with chocolate, I posted a great chocolate fondue recipe, lolol!