Sunday, April 6, 2008

Conserving energy

Dear Mr/Ms Energy Company President-I am sure that you were on a lovely beach in Mexico yesterday morning but I wanted to let you know that there was no power for 6 1/2 hours yesterday in the neighborhood that I live in along with the surrounding two neighborhoods. I know that it is Environment month and you were encouraging people to turn off their lights and power for an hour last week... but you must have thought that we didn't get the lesson to do it automatically for us for that long. Although this was a pain, I wanted to share with you some of the things that I observed that you might want to know:

  • Saturday is a day when most people vacuum, use power tools to build special headboards, do laundry and all of these activities were put to a stop with your energy conservation.
  • If you don't like spending money to line corporation's pockets and use VOIP (voice over internet protocol), you will be stuck without phone service.
  • With the increased hours, neighbors will have to start talking to one another in the street and will start talking about scintillating topics such as wondering if the hundreds of dollars of frozen food in their freezers will be lost.
  • The bride and groom at my church had no lights, power, sound system and instead had lots of romantic candlelight and a pastor impersonating a revival preacher from the 1930s.
  • For every hour that the power was out, the chance of there being a baby boom in 9 1/2 months grows rapidly... trust me, I've worked in children's programming.

I just want you to know that I wasn't upset just inconvenienced. However, I was fine because I am a knitter and a reader and these activities don't require power during daylight hours. Next time, could you have the power outage on Saturday night when I work to give me a few paid hours as a mini-vacation?

2 comments:

momofthecrazies said...

The poor couple getting married! I bet the pastor that married them is a bit hoarse today!

When we had the big black out in eastern Canada a few years ago, we decided to have friends over and have a BBQ to use the food that "might" go bad. (Good excuse for a feast!)

Glad you're electricity is back on line!

Bargainista said...

When i first started reading this blog i thought Ha! that wouldn't have happened if those neighborhoods remembered to turn off their lights on Earth Day like the rest of us.
Enjoyed your observations,... and momofthecrazies creativity.
Lucky you Kittinchick that you got your balls of yarn and your stacks of books. Set to survive, and have fun doing it!