Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What didn't work!

Shannon is hosting a What doesn't work for me Wednesday. I can get on board with that. Knittinchick's Life Lesson: Do NOT believe all the hype about skin care products. Case in point:

  1. Knittinchick is depressed about her January skin and sees a great offer on tv (trust me... this never happens) for Proactiv and remembers several friends talking about how it worked for their teenage sons.
  2. KC gets excited and orders the starter kit.
  3. Three weeks later it arrives. Success!
  4. I will use it before I go to work after reading the instructions. Did I mention that I was working in children's programming at the time? Did I also mention that I was in charge of leading the music and dancing part of the program for 70 hyped up Saturday night grade 4/5 kids?
  5. No problems. I use the product all the face to be all cleansed and fresh feeling for all those lovely children hyped up on sugar and Saturday hockey/dance/entertainment venues.
  6. During rehearsal I feel rather hot. I take off my sweater (don't worry, there was a tee underneath) and ask everyone if it is hot in there.
  7. No... but have you looked in the mirror lately? You don't want to hear this!
  8. Upon a rather depressing look in the mirror, I realize that my skin is having a massive allergic reaction to this skin product.
  9. By the time the children arrive, I'm fully in the allergic reaction... as in eyes almost swollen shut, troubles talking and massively red bloated skin.... if you want to know how sympathetic a grade 5 boy is... present him with this situation!
  10. SO... after leading all the music and dancing, KC goes home to bed with significant antihistamines. My roommate was a nurse and she kept me doped up all night-I had my very own Hitch moment.

Moral of the story: only use stuff on your skin that is for hyper sensitive skin. Don't try new products before an event. And say Thank You to the very kind Proactiv person when they reimburse your fees and apologize that you reacted so badly.

6 comments:

The McCanns said...

I'm sure it's the Benzoyl Peroxide. I think that Proactive is 10% solution. It didn't completely mess me up, but my face was burning and everyone kept asking "what's wrong with your face?" Embarrassing! Might I suggest for cleanser (Basis facial bar soap 1.27 @ Wal-mart or Cetaphil facial cleanser) Both are great for the most sensitive skin and they don't irritate your skin which causes more breakouts. For moisturizer, I use Cetaphil facial moisturizer (about 8 or 9.00 @ Wal-mart) It is THE best moisturizer. I have dry, no wait, oily, no wait dry ( you get the point) skin. I have used so many expensive ones and this works sooooooo good. My husband even uses it. Well, I'm sorry about your experience. I guess I turned this into a WFMW post. LOL!

happygeek said...

That does not sound like fun!

Bargainista said...

Sorry that you had to go through all that! i had a few mental pictures going through my head as i read your blog. You really were a 'Big Redhead' that day.
Glad that you got your $$$ back.
Thanks for the cleanser tips mccanns!

granola_granny said...

Hey Knittin' you gotta know that Grade Five boys are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the empathy thing, unless of course it involves bodily noises or smells. I'm glad your skinastic experience was relatively short lived.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's terrible.
Fifth grade boys can be so mean!

momofthecrazies said...

I hadn't heard this story before. Yikes! Bad timing!